Warning to Credit Union Members – Phishing Scam
Cois Sionna Desmond Credit Union are committed to protecting you against the threats associated with various types of fraud. We are advising credit union members to be aware of a phishing scam that is currently circulating. The scam involves a fraudster contacting individuals via text message and falsely claiming to be from a credit union. The scam message requests that they click a link through to a cloned credit union website to verify their account.
It is important to note credit unions will never contact an individual member by phone, text, or email, requesting them to click a link to verify their account or give personal account details over the phone. If you receive any communication of this nature, do not provide any account details to the caller , and do not click on the link under any circumstances. The tips below will help protect you from this type of scam.
- Do not click on any links included in text messages or emails that require you to make a payment. This could be a phishing scam designed to obtain your personal information
- Do not provide your online credit union login details to anyone through text, email, or over the phone. Your credit union will never request this information through these means.
- Do not follow a link from a text message or email to access a website.
- Do not fall for messages that claim to be urgent, as these are often designed to make you panic and act hastily without thinking. Take the time to verify the legitimacy of any urgent message before taking any action.
- Be wary of text messages, emails, or websites that appear genuine, as criminals have methods to replicate them to make them look authentic. Always double-check the source and legitimacy of any communication before providing any personal information.
If you are unsure about any message that you receive in relation to your credit union account, you should contact your local credit union directly to verify the authenticity of the message.